The Garmin Health connector enables the synchronization of Garmin data to Smartabase. Garmin Health collects a diversity of health, fitness and wellbeing data based on metrics such as sleep, heart rate, stress and exercise. Integrating your Smartabase site with Garmin Health provides an opportunity for deep insights into these metrics, and helps bring all of your data together to make holistic decisions related to people’s health, performance and risk of injury.
Setting up your Smartabase site to integrate with Garmin Health
What we need from you
Not much! Once you’ve confirmed you’d like to go ahead with the integration, Fusion Sport will set it up for you.
What Fusion Sport will do
- Universally unique identifications (UUIDs) must be enabled for your Smartabase site so that the Garmin Health connector can identify which accounts people belong to. This is a setting in your site application details, which can only be changed by your Fusion Sport consultant.
- Your Fusion Sport consultant will add the relevant event forms to your site. These forms will connect with and store all data from Garmin Health. Depending on how Garmin is used by your organization, some or all of these forms will receive data from Garmin. You can work with your Fusion Sport consultant to ensure the appropriate roles have access to view this information, as well as any dashboards set up to visualize the data.
- Garmin Daily Summary
- Garmin Activity Summary
- Garmin Sleep Summary
- Garmin Body Composition Summary
- Garmin Move IQ Summary
- Garmin Stress Summary
- Garmin Pulse OX Summary
- Garmin User Metrics Summary
- Two profile forms will also be added to your site. The Garmin Health OAuth Portal profile is used by the Garmin Health account holders to authorize the data connection to Smartabase. The Garmin Athlete Token Info profile also communicates with the Garmin Health connector, but does not need any interaction from you or your organization.
Please speak to your Fusion Sport consultant before adding any new fields to the above event and profile forms as it may have unintended consequences.
Once connected, data will synchronize with Smartabase as soon as it’s saved to Garmin Health.
How are people’s accounts mapped between Garmin Health and Smartabase?
Each person has to authorize Smartabase to access their Garmin Health data via the Garmin Health OAuth Portal profile form. Note that this process must only be completed after the connector setup is fully completed.
They will need to complete the following steps:
- Log into the Smartabase web application (e.g. using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari) using their own credentials (this process must be completed with the person logged into their own account, not via a coach’s account).
- Go to the Profiles page.
- Select the Garmin Health OAuth Portal profile form.
- Click the Authorisation link button and follow the prompts to enter your Garmin Health account details.
Once this process is completed, the person’s Smartabase account will be authorized to connect to their Garmin Health data. No further mapping is required.
Creating heart rate zones from Garmin Health connector data
You can optionally calculate heart rate zones (based on percent of an individual’s max heart rate) for an activity within the Garmin Activity Summary form. To achieve this, your Fusion Sport consultant will add:
- A database form called Garmin HR Zones, which you can use to customize the percentage limits for each zone. You can create as many zones as required. Note that the Zone label must start with a numerical value.
- A profile form called Max HR where you can indicate each person’s maximum heart rate. This is used by the connector to calculate the specific heart rate zones for each individual.
Once you’ve added your heart rate zone labels and percentage limits to the database, anyone with a maximum heart rate specified in the Max HR profile form will have their heart rate zones included within the Garmin Activity Summary form.