Notes first published November 29, 2019
Update available from November 29, 2019
Version 6.2 of Smartabase contains exciting new functionality and we're pleased to let you know it'll be available to you shortly.
- Options for making quick edits to records.
- Collapsible sections for streamlined data entry.
- Improvements to the Dutch language option for Smartabase.
- Security updates.
- Lots of small improvements and bug fixes!
We've also included some information about updates that were made in patch releases between 6.1 and 6.2. These updates included:
- Updates to the Multiple file upload field.
- Updates to embedded event workflows.
- A new form property to control the availability of forms across platforms.
- Increased security for locked records.
Quick editing options
It's now possible to quickly make edits to a record without leaving an embedded report or event, a report (including front page reports) or the performance history screen. The fields in an event form that allow user input have a new property (set using the form builder) which enables quick editing functionality. This means you can select the quick edit icon for a record and then, in a pop-up screen, update the fields that have quick editing enabled.
We made this feature for people who frequently need to make small changes to large forms. For example, when you just want to resolve an athlete's condition and don't necessarily need to look at their entire injury record.
If this functionality is something you'd like to make use of, please contact a member of our professional services team and we'll switch it on for you.
Streamline data entry and review with collapsible sections
You're now able to set collapse behavior for each section of a form. This means each section can be collapsed or expanded when entering or viewing the data in a form. We included this feature so that it's simpler to navigate through and use large or complex forms.
The ability to collapse sections also works within the new quick editing screen if fields from multiple sections (with this property enabled) are shown there.
Once this feature is enabled on your Smartabase site (a simple task for our team to complete), you'll find the option to make a section collapsible in the advanced properties for each section of a form.
Smartabase in Dutch - gebruik Smartabase in de Nederlandse taal
We've made a big improvement to the Dutch option that's included in the language choices available from your account page. This means anyone with permission to update their account can choose to view the Smartabase web application or mobile application in Dutch, although this option isn't yet available for the Smartabase Athlete application.
Note that Smartabase's language choices don't automatically translate content that's custom-built in your site, such as forms, dashboards or alerts. If you want to provide translations (in any language) of content you've created to the athletes, coaches, staff or others using your Smartabase site, please talk to our professional services team, who will be happy to assist.
Behind the scenes, we've done a great deal of work to ensure that Smartabase complies with best practices for security. Smartabase's code has been thoroughly scanned and enhanced to meet extremely strict military grade requirements. We're proud to let you know that, no matter who you are, your Smartabase data is protected.
We've also built in the ability for people to authenticate via Google Authenticator in addition to using SMS and email. This means that your Smartabase access is no longer dependent on your ability to receive text messages or emails when multi-factor authentication is enabled on your Smartabase site.
Updates between versions 6.1 and 6.2
6.1.06 - available from June 24, 2019
6.1.08 - available from June 28, 2019
6.1.13 - available from August 19, 2019
6.1.14 - available from September 18, 2019
Multiple file upload field fixes
The Multiple file upload field was supported by the Smartabase mobile app in 6.1.13.
Embedded event improvements
Version 6.1.00 of Smartabase included a major update. This changed the way that you associate records from an event form with records from a different event form. We called this feature an embedded event, and how you can set them up is explained in this help article.
- You can now use a locked record to add or link another record via an embedded event field.
- Embedded events now permit linked record pull-through, which enables data from a record to auto-populate into records created via an embedded event field. Setting this up can be a little difficult sometimes, so don't hesitate to contact our Fusion Sport consultants if you need assistance.
- Embedded event summary calculations now work with concatenated text and display correctly in the performance history.
- We've added support for embedded events to the Smartabase mobile app.
Control the availability of forms across platforms
The 6.1.13 version of Smartabase included a new form property which enables you to choose form availability more specifically. In the past, each form had an advanced property to enable mobile access, which meant forms became available for entry and viewing from the Smartabase mobile app (according to the user's role).
With the release of the Smartabase Athlete app, we wanted to let you choose how to build forms for more circumstances. You can now exclude forms from being available on the Smartabase Athlete app. Alternatively, you can make forms unavailable on all mobile apps or available for all platforms. Forms are always available from the web browser version of Smartabase or the Smartabase desktop application.
The advanced form property for enabling mobile access has been removed and replaced by the form Availability property.
Forms which previously had mobile access enabled have been updated to use the availability property that excludes the form for the Smartabase Athlete app. These forms will only be available from the Smartabase mobile app and non-mobile versions of Smartabase. If you want athletes to use the Smartabase Athlete app, please update the availability property to the option for all platforms.
Increased security for locked records
We made an important update to how locked records with a lock delay are handled during migrations and resaves in version 6.1.13.
When a form is set up to be lockable and a delay is set (for example, if you want a record to be locked 15 minutes after save and lock is selected), then performing a migration or resave on that form caused records to unlock for the delay duration (i.e. 15 minutes). This happens because the migration or resave essentially resets the delay period.
From now on, performing a migration or resave will not affect the lock status of already locked records. You can learn more about migrations and resaves in this help article.
This update also affects how the lock delay period works. It means that any edits a user makes to a record after save and lock is selected will not re-set the lock delay either. In a medical scenario where records are set to lock 24 hours after save and lock is selected, the medical practitioner has 24 hours to make edits once the save and lock function has been used. Once the 24 hours has elapsed, no further changes will be possible.
This change does not affect forms which do not have a lock delay set.
General improvements and bug fixes
- We've fixed an issue affecting dashboards which was caused by a clash between the identifiers for dashboards and categories. While we've resolved the underlying problem, some dashboards might require a manual fix. So if you have any dashboards which don't display, please reach out to your lead sport scientist to expedite getting this resolved. We recognize that this error on our part created difficulties for each of you who were affected, and we apologize.
- We've corrected some language errors on the login screen for the Smartabase desktop application. The URL field is now labelled correctly.
- You may also notice that we've updated the previewing feature to display PDFs in a better size and resolution.
- We've made more improvements to the reliability of lock delay behavior for event forms that have been set up using this feature.
- Behind the scenes, Smartabase 6.1.06 improved support for the Smartabase Athlete app. Calculations in mobile-enabled event forms will display in the Smartabase Athlete app. You can learn more about the Smartabase Athlete app here.
- We removed the advanced property for embedded dashboards that specifies whether that form item should appear in PDF export in 6.1.08. This is because dashboards are not supported in PDF exports.
- When you're using Smartabase from your browser, you'll always find a link to the Smartabase help documentation in the menu on the navigation bar. In 6.1.08, we updated the link that you use from the builder interface to be the same as the link that you use elsewhere in Smartabase. We made this change to help ensure that you find the information you're looking for, no matter where you came from.
- The advanced form property for setting a category icon was re-enabled in 6.1.14. We temporarily disabled this advanced property when we released the availability property for forms, which replaced the advanced property for enabling mobile access to a form. The category icon allows you to choose an icon which displays next to a form when viewing the form in the Smartabase mobile application.
- We updated the language you see when you interact with the Smartabase analytics connector to be more easily understood in 6.1.14.
- The Smartabase mobile app now supports click-through from dashboards created using the dashboard builder. This means users can select a data point within a widget to navigate from the dashboard to the exact record that the data comes from.
- As mentioned above, the Smartabase mobile app now supports Multiple file upload fields and embedded events.
- We've fixed an issue that prevented embedded dashboards from appearing in event forms when viewed from the Smartabase mobile app.