Notes first published November 29, 2019
Update available from November 29, 2019
Version 6.2 of Smartabase contains exciting new functionality and we're pleased to let you know it'll be available to you shortly.
- Options for making quick edits to records.
- Collapsible sections for streamlined data entry.
- Improvements to the Dutch language option for Smartabase.
- Security updates.
- Lots of small improvements and bug fixes!
We've also included some information about updates that were made in patch releases between 6.1 and 6.2. These updates included:
Quick editing options
It's now possible to quickly make edits to a record without leaving an embedded report or event, a report (including front page reports) or the performance history screen. The fields in an event form that allow user input have a new property (set using the form builder) which enables quick editing functionality. This means you can select the quick edit icon for a record and then, in a pop-up screen, update the fields that have quick editing enabled.
We made this feature for people who frequently need to make small changes to large forms. For example, when you just want to resolve an athlete's condition and don't necessarily need to look at their entire injury record.
If this functionality is something you'd like to make use of, please contact a member of our professional services team and we'll switch it on for you.
Streamline data entry and review with collapsible sections
You're now able to set collapse behavior for each section of a form. This means each section can be collapsed or expanded when entering or viewing the data in a form. We included this feature so that it's simpler to navigate through and use large or complex forms.
The ability to collapse sections also works within the new quick editing screen if fields from multiple sections (with this property enabled) are shown there.
To enable this feature on your Smartabase site, contact your Fusion Sport consultant.
Smartabase in Dutch - gebruik Smartabase in de Nederlandse taal
We've made a big improvement to the Dutch option that's included in the language choices available from your account page. This means anyone with permission to update their account can choose to view the Smartabase web application or mobile application in Dutch, although this option isn't yet available for the Smartabase Athlete application.
Note that Smartabase's language choices don't automatically translate content that's custom-built in your site, such as forms, dashboards or alerts. If you want to provide translations (in any language) of content you've created to the athletes, coaches, staff or others using your Smartabase site, please talk to our professional services team, who will be happy to assist.
Behind the scenes, we've done a great deal of work to ensure that Smartabase complies with best practices for security. Smartabase's code has been thoroughly scanned and enhanced to meet extremely strict military grade requirements. We're proud to let you know that, no matter who you are, your Smartabase data is protected.
We've also built in the ability for people to authenticate via Google Authenticator in addition to using SMS and email. This means that your Smartabase access is no longer dependent on your ability to receive text messages or emails when multi-factor authentication is enabled on your Smartabase site. This is also available on the Smartabase mobile application.
Android 10 compatibility
Those of you using Android devices may have noticed problems loading the Smartabase app if you’d upgraded to Android 10. Smartabase wasn’t compatible with this version of Android, and the 6.2 release solves that problem. If you haven’t already updated your device to Android 10, you wouldn’t have noticed this problem.
Android 10 has lots of great new functionality, including security updates and better controls for privacy and your location data. So we encourage you to maintain the latest version of your operating system as well as the newest version of Smartabase, and we’re pleased that they work together nicely again.
Updates between versions 6.1 and 6.2
6.1.06 - available from June 24, 2019
6.1.08 - available from June 28, 2019
6.1.13 - available from August 19, 2019
6.1.14 - available from September 18, 2019
Multiple file upload field fixes
Our recently-introduced Multiple file upload field needed some fixes to perform effectively for more people.
- We added highlighting to tell you that you're dragging and dropping files into the correct area on your screen.
- We resolved an issue that caused people to be unexpectedly logged out of Smartabase when they dropped files outside of this area.
- We improved the field to behave more predictably when you're uploading files from within a table in an event form.
- We've resolved an issue that caused the file count (total number of files uploaded) to be incorrect in some circumstances.
- The Multiple file upload field is now supported by the Smartabase mobile app.
Embedded event improvements
Version 6.1.00 of Smartabase included a major update. This changed the way that you associate records from an event form with records from a different event form. We called this feature an embedded event, and how you can set them up is explained in this help article.
- Feedback from our clients has prompted us to change how records are associated with the record the user has open. The tick box for linking records together is now located in the left-most column of the search results rather than at the right-hand side. This ensures that the option to link records together is always visible, regardless of how many columns are shown.
- You can now use a locked record to add or link another record via an embedded event field.
This update affects you when you create a new record, or open and edit an existing record, via an embedded event or embedded report. Previously, when you used the save and continue method of saving these records, Smartabase would save your changes and return you to the record you came from. This proved to be unintuitive for many people, who (reasonably) expected that save and continue means 'save my progress so I can continue editing this record', not 'save and continue on my navigational path'. So we changed it. Selecting save and continue (if this save type is enabled) will save your changes to the record you're viewing and let you continue editing.
- Embedded event summary calculations now work with concatenated text and display correctly in the performance history.
- We've added support for embedded events to the Smartabase mobile app.
General improvements and bug fixes
- We've fixed an issue affecting dashboards which was caused by a clash between the identifiers for dashboards and categories. While we've resolved the underlying problem, some dashboards might require a manual fix. So if you have any dashboards which don't display, please reach out to your lead sport scientist to expedite getting this resolved. We recognize that this error on our part created difficulties for each of you who were affected, and we apologize.
- We've improved the deletion behavior of records that you create using the training blocks tool. If you delete a training block, Smartabase will remove any unmodified records (past and future) created from that training block. If an athlete or coach has updated or edited a record in any way, it won't be affected by the deletion of a training block. When you use the training block stop function, Smartabase will remove unmodified future records, leaving any past records intact.
- We've corrected some language errors on the login screen for the Smartabase desktop application. The URL field is now labelled correctly.
- The Multiple file upload field has been optimized to ensure you can replace files with others during use.
- We've resolved some issues that prevented people from downloading files that have been added to forms.
- You may also notice that we've updated the previewing feature to display PDFs in a better size and resolution.
- We've made more improvements to the reliability of lock delay behavior for event forms that have been set up using this feature.
- We've resolved some minor issues that affected the selection process of entities in scheduling event forms.
- You can expect groups to be alphabetically ordered wherever you see a drop-down list of groups, such as when choosing a subgroup to run a report about.
- Behind the scenes, Smartabase 6.1.06 improved support for the Smartabase Athlete app. Calculations in mobile-enabled event forms will display in the Smartabase Athlete app. You can learn more about the Smartabase Athlete app here.
- The Smartabase mobile app now supports click-through from dashboards created using the dashboard builder. This means users can select a data point within a widget to navigate from the dashboard to the exact record that the data comes from.
- As mentioned above, the Smartabase mobile app now supports Multiple file upload fields and embedded events.
- We've resolved a problem on the Smartabase mobile app that prevented documents from being saved properly when the record was saved before the file had finished uploading.
- We've fixed an issue that prevented embedded dashboards from appearing in event forms when viewed from the Smartabase mobile app.
- The Smartabase mobile app has had some styling updates to improve the appearance and behavior of the menu bar, terms and conditions screen, and verification screen.
- We've also updated the Smartabase mobile app so it can let you know when an update to the app is available. The app will also let you know when an update is mandatory. For critical updates, the Smartabase mobile app will prevent users from logging in until they've updated the app.
- We’ve heard people have been having trouble with the wet signature fields in the Smartabase mobile application. In very specific scenarios (forms with only one section containing a signature field), saving a record caused the signature field to save as a blank. We’ve fixed that now.