The Smart flow tool lets you choose event forms (target forms) that will automatically create new records for athletes when a different event form (a trigger form) is entered and saved. This is useful when data entered in one form is relevant to the subsequent creation of a record in another form. For example, if a record is created and saved for the Vaccination event form (the trigger form in a Smart flow), a record for the Vaccination Review event form (the target form in a Smart flow) can be created simultaneously.
A Smart flow can also be based on whether or not the trigger form has information that meets specific criteria. The trigger criteria are a set of conditions applied to fields in the triggering event form. When the trigger criteria are met and the record is saved, a new record is created for forms you've selected as the target events.
A Smart flow can be set to run when a user saves the triggering record, on a periodic basis, or a specific date. You can also specify the time that elapses between when the user saves the triggering record and the target record creation. This time interval can be set to hours, days, weeks, months or years depending on the purpose of your Smart flow.
This example shows a Smart flow that is set up to help doctors follow up on an athlete's recent injuries. Athletes complete the Daily Diary event form and answer a question relating to whether they have any new injuries. The Daily Diary event form is selected as the triggering event form for the Smart flow. Once an athlete saves their record, the Smart flow creates a new Medical Consultation form (the targeted event form) if the athlete said that they had a new injury. The Medical Consultation record can be used later by doctors to record notes when examining the injured athlete.
The creation of the Medical Consultation record can also be used to send the doctor a performance alert to help them assess new injuries in an efficient manner.
Steps to set up a Smart flow
- Log in to the administrator interface.
- Select the Smart flow tool to create a new Smart flow and see a list of existing ones.
- Click on Create new Smart Flow.
- Provide a Name and Description for the Smart flow.
- Select the event form you want to use as the Trigger criteria for the creation of records in another event form (target event form).
- If required, specify an Alert criteria for the Smart flow using a condition set for a field in the triggering event form.
- Add a Target event and select the event form you want to use from the drop-down field. You can add more than one target event if needed.
- Set the Date type to Point in Time, Period or Specific Date / Annual for the creation of the targeted record.
- If you choose Point in time, the creation of the target record will occur on the day the triggering event form is saved.
- If you choose Period, you can set the Smart flow to run on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis once the triggering event form is saved.
- If you select Specific date/annual, you can specify the exact day you want the Smart flow to run once the triggering record is saved.
- (Optional) Include a Template created to store pre-filled data in the targeted event form.
- If you are creating a new template, you will need to save it before you save the Smart flow.
- Select Delete target event(s) to automatically delete all target records associated with a triggering record when the trigger record is deleted.
- If you want your Smart flow to apply to all athletes on your Smartabase site, tick Enable for all users. If you want to apply your Smart flow to specific athletes or groups, leave this unticked.
- Click Save.
- If you haven't ticked the Enable for all users option, you can add the athletes or groups you want to monitor with the Smart flow.
- Monitored athletes and members of monitored groups will have target records automatically entered for them after a trigger record is saved. This behavior will continue unless you remove the athletes or groups from the Smart flow settings or delete the Smart flow.
- Click on Save to confirm your Smart flow settings and exit.