As a site administrator, the smart flow tool lets you choose event forms (target forms) that will automatically create new records for athletes when a different event form (a trigger form) is entered and saved. This is useful when data entered in one form is relevant to the subsequent creation of a record in another form. For example, if a vaccination event form (trigger) is entered and saved (thus creating a new vaccination record), a vaccination review record (target) is created simultaneously. A smart flow can be based on whether or not the trigger form has information that meets specific criteria.
Using the smart flow tool, you can choose to target the creation of records in selected event forms using a single triggering event form. The trigger criteria are a set of conditions applied to fields in the triggering event form. For the smart flow to occur, data entered by a user must meet the triggering criteria. When the trigger criteria are met and the user saves the record, a new record is created for forms you've selected as the target event. A smart flow can be set to run when a user saves the triggering record, on a periodic basis, or a specific date. You can also specify the time that elapses between when the user saves the triggering record and the target record creation. This time interval can be set to hours, days, weeks, months or years depending on the purpose of your smart flow.
This example shows a smart flow that is set up to help doctors follow up on an athlete's recent injuries. An event form for athletes to record their injuries is selected as the triggering event form. In this form, athletes can note if they incurred a new injury. Once an athlete saves their record, the smart flow creates a new medical consultation form (the targeted event form), which is later used by doctors to record notes when examining the injured athlete.
If needed, the creation of the medical consultation form can also be used to send the doctor a performance alert. Thus, the creation of this record using a smart flow helps doctors assess new injuries in an efficient manner.
Steps to set up a smart flow
- Log in to the administrator interface.
- Select the smart flow tool to create a new smart flow and see a list of existing ones.
- Click on Create new Smart Flow.
- Provide a Name and Description for the smart flow.
- Select the event form you want to use as the Trigger criteria for the creation of records in another event form (target event form).
- If required, specify an Alert criteria for the smart flow using a condition set for a field in the triggering event form.
- Add a Target event and select the event form you want to use from the drop-down field. You can add more than one target event if needed.
- Set the Date type to Point in Time, Period or Specific Date / Annual for the creation of the targeted record.
- If you choose Point in time, the creation of the target record will occur on the day the triggering event form is saved.
- If you choose Period, you can set the smart flow to run on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis once the triggering event form is saved.
- If you select Specific date/annual, you can specify the exact day you want the smart flow to run once the triggering record is saved.
- (Optional) Include a Template created to store pre-filled data in the targeted event form.
- If you are creating a new template, you will need to save it before you save the smart flow.
- Select Delete target event(s) to automatically delete all target records associated with a triggering record when the trigger record is deleted.
- If you want your smart flow to apply to all athletes on your Smartabase site, tick Enable for all users. If you want to apply your smart flow to specific athletes or groups, leave this unticked.
- Click Save.
- If you haven't ticked the Enable for all users option, you can add the athletes or groups you want to monitor with the smart flow.
- Monitored athletes and members of monitored groups will have target records automatically entered for them after a trigger record is saved. This behavior will continue unless you remove the athletes or groups from the smart flow settings or delete the smart flow.
- Click on Save to confirm your smart flow settings and exit.