Different Smartabase applications and features support a number of languages other than English (you can view the list of supported languages here). These translations apply to all text that is a part of the Smartabase system. Because event forms, profile forms and other Smartabase objects are created in English, if someone has their user account set to a different language, your organization would need to provide a translation for the content of these objects. You can use a translation file to do this.
Smartabase objects should only be created in English because many special characters are not fully supported when used in field names, calculations and other components of Smartabase objects. Instead, a translation file is used to upload translations for custom objects contained in your Smartabase site.
- Names and instructions for fields, sections and forms.
- Option lists for option type fields.
- Form categories.
- Buttons, such as Save and Close, Cancel and Save and Continue. If you have not customized the text of these buttons, you do not need to provide a translation.
The properties above are currently the only items that can be translated using a translation file. Other items such as performance alerts, daily reminders, system messages and custom page layouts cannot be translated.
Steps to create a translation file
A translation file in CSV format can be generated by the site owner using the Translation tool in the builder interface. Each translation file can only be used to translate from English to one other language – if you need to translate into more than one language, you’ll need to supply a separate translation file for each.
When working with translation files you will need to use UTF-8 encoding, which supports special characters used by most written languages. Depending on which spreadsheet software you’re using (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Libre Office Calc), you will be able to select UTF-8 either when opening or saving the file.
The file will contain the following columns:
- The Property Key column indicates which property is being translated by that row of the file.
- The Form Name column indicates which form (if applicable) the property is a part of, and can be useful for filtering the file to help you fill out your translations faster.
- The Original Value column indicates the exact name of the property you’re translating.
- The Translated Value column is where you can add translations for any fields that require translating.
This is the only column that you should interact with; all other columns must remain exactly as they are.
Once the blank translation file has been generated, complete the following steps:
- Add translations to all properties you wish to translate. Translation files support the use of non-English characters and symbols.
- Delete any rows where you have not added a translated value. This will help Smartabase load faster for people viewing Smartabase in this language.
- Save the file, ensuring that it’s still in CSV (UTF-8) format, and return it to your Fusion Sport consultant.
If you’ve previously added a translation file and need to add new translations, the site owner can automatically generate a file containing all of your existing translations from the Translation files tool, rather than having to fill them out again.