When you use the Smartabase web application, you can usually find a link to your inbox in the menu bar at the top of the page. If you don’t see it there, you may be able to access it elsewhere, depending on your page layout. The number of unread messages appears in brackets beside the link.
Your inbox is where you will receive:
- Messages sent using internal mail.
- Reports sent using internal mail.
- Performance alerts (if set up to send to internal mail).
- Daily reminders (if set up to send to internal mail).
From the inbox you can send messages via the following communication methods:
- Internal Only: your message will only appear in the recipient’s Smartabase inbox.
- Email: your message will be sent to the email address associated with the recipient’s Smartabase account.
- SMS (Text Message): your message will be sent to the mobile phone number associated with the recipient’s Smartabase account.
- Email and Text Message: your message will be sent to the email address and mobile phone number associated with the recipient’s Smartabase account.
- App Notification: your message will appear as a push notification if the recipient has the Smartabase Athlete app installed.
- Email and App Notification: your message will appear as a push notification if the recipient has the Smartabase Athlete app installed and will be sent to the email address associated with the recipient’s Smartabase account.
Access to people and data
Messaging within Smartabase works much the same way as a typical email inbox with the exception that you’re only able to send data you have permission for (via your role) to people you have access to (via your group).
To send another person a copy of a report from the reports tool, for example, separate permissions would be required for:
- Your ability to see the messaging function in the reports tool. This means you need to have the messaging system permission in your role.
- The ability of the recipient to see the event form data you’re sending them. This means they need to have the data permission for that form in their role.
- The ability of the recipient to see the people whom the report is about. This means they need to be a coach of the same group you are.
Sending a new message
It’s really important to choose who is going to receive your message, whether that’s a specific person or a selection of people. The selector allows you to choose from all coaches or athletes in the group you have loaded, so if you don’t see someone on the list you might need to change to the relevant group.
Setting the best communication method is another important choice. If your message is a short one, then choosing to send it as an SMS or app notification might be a good idea. If it’s lengthy or you want to add an attachment, then email or internal mail might be a better option.
When you send a message via email, it’ll be shown as sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. This is to encourage members of your organization to reach out to you for support that’s specific to your Smartabase site.
Steps to send a new message
- Open your inbox.
- From the Options drop-down menu, select New Message.
- Choose which people you want to send your message to.
- Enter a subject line.
- Fill out the message body with your content.
- Choose which communication method you want to use to send your message.
- Add any attachments you need.
- Hit Send.
Receiving a message in Smartabase
To read a message that’s been sent via internal mail, you can open it from the list of messages displayed in your inbox. When you open a message someone else has sent you, you can choose whether to delete or reply to it.