Grouping is an important Smartabase function that helps you control who has access to which people's information. Groups are created by a Smartabase administrator using the groups tool. You can search groups by their name or their description using the options in the collapsible sidebar.
The Groups tool allows you to group people for data entry, notification, reporting and planning purposes. People can be grouped, for example, by sporting discipline, class, year, age, gender, or team.
The names, members and other properties of the groups that are used on a Smartabase site should be decided according to your organization's needs.
A group is made up of coach and athlete members. People can be coaches and athletes within multiple different groups.
- As a coach of a group, someone will have access to enter and view information for any athlete members within that group, depending on their role permissions. They cannot see data about themselves or any other coaches of that group.
- As an athlete in a group, someone will have access to enter and view information for themselves only, depending on their role permissions. They will not be able to see anything related to the other members of the group.
- In some circumstances, someone may be a coach of one group but an athlete in another. In this situation the normal behavior applies based on which group they have loaded:
- If they load the group that they're a coach of, they'll be able to see information for everyone in that group.
- If they load the group they're an athlete in, they'll only have access to their own information
Groups can have sub-groups and parent groups. A group can only have one parent group but it can have as many sub-groups as necessary.
Steps to create a new group
- Log in to the administration interface.
- Select the Groups tool.
- Select the Create new group button from the top of the page.
- Name your new group.
- Provide a description of the group, if necessary.
- Save the new group.
- If there is a parent group, type its name into the Parent group field and Save this setting.
- Add the people who should have access to this group to the Coaching staff list.
- Add the people who should be members of this group to the Athletes list.
- If any sub-groups should be included within this group, add those groups to the Subgroups list.
- Save the group settings.