As a site administrator, you can set up Smart saves to automatically save records for selected event forms at a specified date and time. This is useful for event forms that do not rely on manual data entry and display data linked from other forms. You can set up a Smart save to occur on a periodic basis or a specified date and time. This can be weekly, monthly, yearly or on certain days in the future.
To target an event form, the form must have the Save audits advanced property disabled. The Save audits property tracks data entered in the form before a resave or migration. Turning off Save audits means Smartabase does not keep a copy of the data before the resave or migration.
If a resave or migration fails, disabling the Save audits advanced property may result in lost data. Only disable this property if the event form does not rely on manual data input. For example, event forms with linked or profile linked calculations that display data entered in other forms.
Configuring a Smart save
Smart saves can be set up to run periodically (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly or yearly) or on a specific date. If it is being run on a specific date, you can also specify whether to trigger the Smart save on that date every year or just once.
The target record is shown in Smartabase with the Start and Finish times selected for the Smart save, but these records are always created between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM to reduce the risk of any performance impacts on the server. To ensure that data entered during the day is included in the target record, you can set a Smart save to trigger at the end of the day. For this process to work, the Smart save occurs on the following day between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM. The target record is then backdated to include any data from the previous day. It is important to ensure that the Timezone for the Smart save matches the time zone for your organization so that the target record is saved on the correct date.
If there is a performance alert set up based on the creation of the target record, the alert will be triggered between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM when the target record is created. Keep this in mind when choosing whether to enable a performance alert from a target record and the most appropriate communication method for the performance alert.
Once the Smart save is configured correctly and saved, we can then choose which athletes or groups it should be applied to.
This example shows the creation of a new Smart save in Smartabase. We have set up this Smart save to automatically save records in a Daily Availability event form every day. The Smart save is configured to save a record for every member of the Athletes group at the end of the day.
Managing Smart saves
Using the Smart save tool, you can edit and delete existing Smart saves or create a new Smart save. To find a particular Smart save you have created, use the search menu in the Smart saves tool. The search menu lets you search for:
- The Name of the Smart save.
- A Description of the Smart save outlining the reason for its creation.
- The Time zone set up for the Smart save.
- A Trigger at end of day feature if the Smart save is set up to run at the end of a day.
Steps to configure a Smart save
- Log in to the administrator interface.
- Select the Smart save tool.
- Choose the option to Create new Smart Save.
- Provide a Name and Description for the Smart save.
- Choose a Time zone for the Smart save.
- Tick whether you want the Smart save to Trigger at the end of the day.
- Add a Target event and select the event form you want to use from the drop-down menu.
Only event forms with the save audits advanced property disabled are available for use in the Smart save tool. If you cannot see the event form you expect, check that the save audits advanced form property is disabled.
- Set the Date type to Period or Specific date/annual.
- If you choose Period, you can set the Smart save to occur on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis.
- If you select Specific date/annual, you can specify the exact day you want the Smart save to occur.
- Set the start time and finish time for the Smart save, based on your local computer time.
- (Optional) Include a Template created to store pre-filled data in the target record.
- Note that a Smart save will not complete unless there is data in the target record. There are two ways to ensure the target record contains data:
- Use a template with pre-filled data that is entered and stored in the target record.
- Include linked fields or profile linked fields in the event form to pull data into the form from other event forms.
- Click on Save to create the Smart save.
- Add the athletes or groups monitored by the Smart save. Any athletes or members of groups that are monitored will have the target event form automatically entered for them on the specified date and time.