As a site administrator, you can set up smart saves to automatically save records for selected event forms at a specified date and time. This is useful for event forms that do not rely on manual data entry and display data linked from other forms. You can set up a smart save to occur on a periodic basis or a specified date and time. This can be weekly, monthly, yearly or on certain days in the future. To target an event form, the form must have the save audits advanced property disabled.
The save audits property of an event form tracks data entered in the form before a resave or migration. Turning off save audits means Smartabase does not keep a copy of the data before the resave or migration. If a resave or migration fails, this may result in lost data. Only disable this property if the event form does not rely on manual data input. For example, event forms with linked or profile linked calculations that display data entered in other forms.
Using the smart save tool, you can edit and delete existing smart saves or create a new save save. To search for an existing smart save, use the search filter in the left-hand sidebar. You can filter existing smart saves by their name, description, time zone, and if they trigger at the end of a day.
If required, you can set a smart save to trigger at the end of a day. This ensures that any data entered on the day of the smart save is included in the target record. For this process to work, the smart save occurs on the following day between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM. The target record is then backdated to include any data from the previous day. Note that if there is a performance alert set up based on the creation of the target record, the alert will be triggered between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM when the target record is created.
For example, you can have a smart save set up to run on the first day of the month and set it to trigger at the end of that day. To ensure the target record includes data entered on the first of the month, the smart save will run on the second day of that month. The target record appears in Smartabase with the date and time it was set to run.
This example shows the creation of a new smart save in Smartabase. We have set up this smart save to automatically save records in a Match Outcomes event form on the first day of each month. Once the smart save is configured correctly, including setting the appropriate time zone, then we can choose which athletes or groups it should be applied to.
To find a particular smart save you have created, use the search menu in the smart saves tool. The search menu lets you search for:
- The Name of the smart save.
- A Description of the smart save outlining the reason for its creation.
- The Time zone set up for the smart save.
- A Trigger at end of day feature if the smart save is set up to run at the end of a day.
Steps to set up a smart save
- Log in to the administrator interface.
- Select the smart save tool.
- Choose the option to Create new Smart Save.
- Provide a Name and Description for the smart save.
- Choose a Time zone for the smart save.
- Tick whether you want the smart save to Trigger at the end of the day.
- Add a Target event and select the event form you want to use from the drop-down menu.
Only event forms with the save audits advanced property disabled are available for use in the smart save tool. If you cannot see the event form you expect, check that the save audits advanced form property is disabled.
- Set the Date type to Period or Specific date/annual.
- If you choose Period, you can set the smart save to occur on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis.
- If you select Specific date/annual, you can specify the exact day you want the smart save to occur.
- Set the start time and finish time for the smart save, based on your local computer time.
- (Optional) Include a Template created to store pre-filled data in the target record.
- Note that a smart save will not complete unless there is data in the target record. There are two ways to ensure the target record contains data:
- Use a template with pre-filled data that is entered and stored in the target record.
- Include linked fields or profile linked fields in the event form to pull data into the form from other event forms.
- Click on Save to create the smart save.
- Add the athletes or groups monitored by the smart save. Any athletes or members of groups that are monitored will have the target event form automatically entered for them on the specified date and time.